What we believe
We believe in the essential truths of Christianity as revealed in the Bible:
- The one and only true God is the Creator of all and the Ruler and Judge of all He has created. He exists eternally in three distinct, but equal, persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- The Bible is the Word of God. It consists of the 39 books of the Old Testament and the 27 books of the New Testament, given through human authors. Yet their words were God-breathed and are therefore without error, as originally given, and entirely true and trustworthy, the fully adequate authority for what we believe and how we behave.
- Men and women are made in God’s image and for Him. However, because of humanity’s original dis-obedience, everyone is a sinner in nature and practice. This brings guilt before God and separation from fellowship with Him.
- Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, who became fully man by being conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He lived a sinless life in obedience to His Father. By His death on the cross he took our punishment. This is the only and all-sufficient sacrifice for sins. He returned to life bodily and now reigns in heaven as Lord over all.
- Only on the basis of what Christ has done for us can we be counted right with God and receive forgiveness of sins, adoption into God’s family and eternal life. This is the gift of God to all who turn from their sin and put their faith in Christ, the only mediator between us and God. Believers are kept by the power of God forever.
- From the moment of new birth, the Holy Spirit comes to live within the believer. He teaches, develops Christ-like character, and equips for effective service.
- All believers are united by the Holy Spirit in the one Family of God, the Worldwide Church. The local church is to be a worshipping people of God, a home of fellowship, discipleship and training for believers, and a centre for taking the gospel and the love of Christ to the world.
- Christ will one day return personally in power and glory to raise the dead and judge all people. Unbelievers, together with a finally defeated Satan, will receive eternal condemnation and separation from God. Believers will be welcomed into the presence of God forever.
We also subscribe to the Statement of Faith of the Association of Baptist Churches in Ireland -see www.baptistsinireland.org